Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Smithsonian Kite Festival

A soggy forecast did not damper the fun and enthusiasm at this popular annual DC event in its 43rd year. The crowds were lighter than usual because of the cloudy skies and muddy grounds. But it was exciting to see the cherry blossom buds popping and to be flying kites again on the National Mall.

Having not been to the event in over seven years I thoroughly enjoyed seeing old friends from the region. One old friend was Patrick Callahan and after catching up we agreed to compete together as a team in the popular Rokkaku Battle to occur at the end of the day. If you’re unfamiliar with a Rok battle, it is a western take on a kite fight (aka The Kite Runner). The object is to down or cut the other kites out of the sky. Last one flying is the winner.

A number of small exhibit tents lined the edge of one field with booths from the Swedish and Czech Republic embassies, Smithsonian kite history, green energy promoters and so on. I was recruited to assist with kite building at the American West Indies booth where they gave away the kites for free. These Dracon Foundation “sugar glider” kites were made from paper and bamboo sticks and got their name from their resemblance to flying squirrels.

One of the hallmarks of the Smithsonian Festival is the kite competition where only homebuilt kites are allowed to enter.

As with many things in life, a good story and fancy dress can put you ahead.

Xtreme Green Team


Dressing for the job they want, not the job they have.

As the Rokkaku Battle approached, Patrick was nowhere to be found. My friend Jim Cosca had been recruited to battle with the ladies from the graphics department of his former employer - Premier Kites. The ladies brought yellow battle shirts with the team name ironed on the front: Screamin' Jim and the Ripstop Girls.

I made my way onto the field thinking Patrick would eventual show. When it was announced that each team required a minimum of two members, they singled me out as the only team short. I wanted to battle! So I needed to act quickly. I turned to the on looking crowd standing at the edge of the roped off field and loudly pronounced “Anyone here want to run around this field with me and fly a kite?” A moment passed with no takers. Suddenly, a lady shouted, “I will!” and she stepped on the field to join the fray.

With only a minute remaining, I gave her (Amy) some basic information – “I need you to help launch the kite, then run back to me and hold the line winder.” The battle fielded fourteen teams and we came in fourth during the first heat. Along the way we engaged another kite and cut them from the sky! Our kite only came down because we ran out of wind. I needed to make a bridle adjustment before the second heat.

Along the way, I was feeding Amy information about how to fight in the battle and basic kiting tips. Despite my adjustments, our Mona Lisa adorned kite was not quite right after launching the second time and we were quickly downed. It was a kite from my old collection of Premier Kites (yeah, I once worked there, too). It had a defect – the top tie lines for the spreader / keel connection was sewn three inches too far to the left. As a result it snaked the spine badly, making it unstable in flight. Without the tie off, the spreaders would slip and flatten the kite too much. This is what occurred during the 2nd flight. So for the third and final heat I was able to rip off the cord and connect the spine to spreader directly with a knot. It held for battle. However, we were outmaneuvered by the eventual winners (The Midnight Squadron from Laurel, Maryland) and we probability came down in the middle of the pact. Not too bad for taking a volunteer from the audience.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this story with me. I was on the edge of my seat the first time you told it, but your writing brings it back to life for me. The pictures were great too. Who's the photographer?

It's also refreshing to see you follow fashion and fashionable people on here. It will make my next shopping trip much more interesting :)

your happiest reader...your wife